Sunday, March 15, 2009

What's Cooking Lately


I've been super into garden burgers lately. I've been taking the pulp from my juicer and mixing it with ground flax seeds, ground sunflower seeds, salt and water and dehydrating them into little patties of veggie goodness. I've been using the pulp of carrots, celery and red bell peppers mostly. Season it with salt, finely chopped onions or onion powder and place in your dehydrator at 105 degrees for about 4-5 hours. I wrap it in romaine lettuce and smother it with chipotle mayo and top it with avocado, tomato and homegrown sprouts. Easy and so satisfying.


I'm excited about strawberries coming into season. Today I taught my raw food class how to make Strawberry Fields green smoothie from Victoria Boutenko's book "Green For Life." I like to use Brazil nut milk instead of water to make it more rich and creamy. Make sure you only buy organic strawberries since they are one of the most heavily sprayed foods in your produce department.


I asked my class what their favorite recipe from today's class was and almost everyone said the spaghetti with pesto. I absolutely love this dish because of how easy and elegant it is. Who doesn't love pesto? My favorite pesto recipe is:
1 cup basil
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix well (actually I like it a little chunky) in a food processor and toss with zucchini noodles or use the pesto on crackers or sandwiches. Maybe I'll try it on my garden burger this week! Pesto burgers! mmmm!!

1 comments:

Susan said...

Love the burgers! Never thought to use the pulp from the juicer! You are brilliant. I will be experimenting tomorrow.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails